Monday, January 8, 2007

Lenses...

Lenses: Ok, so I waffled a little bit here. I was heavily considering Canon "L" series lenses. But, my eventual though process went something like this. I don't have a top of the line digital camera, so I feel that an "L" series lense will be a little bit of a mismatch to the Rebel body. Plus the 1.6 FOVCF of the Rebel pushes all the "L" series focal lengths up. I decided that I would get lenses made for the 1.6 FOVCF cameras thus ending up with focal lengths equivalent to the more traditional zoom lengths. So, after much research I went with the following 2 lenses to get me started:

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (equivalent to a 27-80mm)
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 (equivalent to a 80-240mm)

If I need more wide angle I'll look at getting the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5(16-35mm). If I want an overlapping zoom I'll look at the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (45-120mm).

Photos: I read about fill flash, and about using the flash in general, and my dislike for the flash is really a dislike for the auto mode on the camera. In auto mode the flash lights the subject in focus, and in manual modes it tries to get the proper exposure on what is behind the subject. The difference is dramatic, I hated the flash in auto mode, in the creative modes I like the flash.

Misc: Along with the lenses I ordered a tripod (Bogen 3021 with 486 ball head) and a speedlight 430ex flash. Everything should be delivered today. It will be a fun night playing with more new toys.

No comments: